June 18, 2003

Cancer will be served today

A look at my mother's diet, served by the hospital, while she was still able to eat:

Breakfast: Bacon with eggs; toast drenched in butter; coffee

Lunch: Half of a chicken, meat loaf, roast beef, or turkey; potatoes or rice; canned vegetables; cake or pudding; coffee

Dinner: Half of a chicken, meat loaf, roast beef or turkey; potatoes or rice; canned vegetables; cake or pudding; coffee

The floor of St. John's hospital's extended care unit is flooded with people with terminal cancer. Promoting a diet like this makes it obvious why people in the United States are getting cancer at alarming rates. One of the side effects of cancer is the agitation it causes. What better way to combat this then by giving cancer patients coffee three times a day. What a joke Western medicine is.

Posted at June 18, 2003 8:18 PM

Comments

i hear you. it's sad. amazing no one catches the corelation.

Posted by: the mighty jimbo at June 18, 2003 11:59 PM

You forgot the chain smoking Social Service worker with her office on the cancer floor.

Posted by: Gina at June 19, 2003 12:39 AM

Oh, yeah, I forgot. The chain-smoking social service worker who's married to a doctor.

Posted by: toni at June 19, 2003 6:59 AM

Those are definitely some of the stupidest things I've ever heard, but unfortunately they're true -- fatty foods served in institutions where you'd think health would be the #1 priority? Who came up with THAT idea? I've never been in a terminal cancer ward, but last year my grandfather was in the ICU at Loma Linda Medical Center in San Bernardino (I was living with relatives in CA at the time). At least they get better care while hooked up to all those monitors then they do when on in a regular ward though.

Posted by: Zandria at June 19, 2003 10:49 AM

I am sorry for the situation that has been placed on your shoulders. Losing a loved one is never an easy thing. It's a good thing that you have such supportive group of friends and family. Cherish them. If I may offer a suggestion. Gather freinds and family of yours and your mothers at a bar or maybe for dinner and then have evryone simply relate a story about her that makes them happy. I think it will ease your mouning process (if that's possible). I don't know if it will work for you, but it's something I wish I could have done when I lost someone close to me a while back. And keep writing, it helps you and I'm sure will help someone in a similar situation later.

Good Luck

Posted by: TBS at June 19, 2003 10:56 AM

I'm so sorry Toni. I wish there was something I could do to help you during this sad time. All I can do is offer my condolences and my presence should you ever wanna talk or anything. I'm back in town and I'll be around for awhile.

I agree... keep writing.. and remember you got people out here that are with ya through everything and anything.

-E